search instagram arrow-down

Recent Posts

Blogs I Follow

Archives

Categories

Meta

Blog Stats

When it was time to Write Out again, I intended to head into downtown Bellingham, to create a balance between our two main clusters of writing venues. The weather was dreary at the time I left, though, and I wound up walking about four blocks to the Colophon Café instead of climbing into my car.

You might wonder why I would choose to walk somewhere in bad weather, rather than drive a bit farther, especially when I could stay home and work. For starters, it just didn’t seem like a good afternoon for a drive. And there’s a truth I’ve learned to accept: sometimes I can’t write at home. I often write more efficiently when I’m away from such distractions as laundry and meals that require cooking. I don’t always need the isolation of a public writing space, but there are days when I must get away. If you’re having a hard time focusing on your project, try Writing Out!

Here are the standard details for the Colophon Café:

Address: 1208 11th Street, Bellingham, WA (Fairhaven)
WiFi: free, unsecured
Music: quiet, varied styles
Tables: Several small tables, several spacious booths
Outlets: Available
Clientele: local, tourists
Gluten-free options: yes
Hours: 9:00am-8:00pm M-Th, till 10pm Fri-Sat, open at 10am Sun
12-oz cappuccino cost: $3.25 plus tax
Time allowed: 2+ hours
Parking: free on street
Loyalty card: no
Website: http://www.colophoncafe.com/

The Colophon is a well-known, highly regarded restaurant, where diners flow in and out as steadily as waves wash onto the shore of Bellingham Bay. Even if I were tucked into a corner of the restaurant, I might feel a bit self-conscious about taking up space at the Colophon. So, I asked about settling in to write, and I was encouraged to do so. Enthusiastically. Writers do come and stay, and they aren’t pushed out, even when a rush occurs.

Since I’m blessed (or cursed) with a high metabolism, I like to be able to get a snack after a couple of hours of writing. The Colophon surprised me by having a 3-6pm happy hour that covers some nice appetizers, as well as wine and beer. There’s an espresso menu, should you need a jolt now and then. The Colophon can, in the writer’s world, start out as a coffee shop and morph into a restaurant; you can take a food break and have a real meal without the need to pack up and move on.

There is both upstairs and downstairs seating. If you sit upstairs in a booth, you’ll be exposed to an array of ice cream flavors. Your willpower (or love of ice cream) will dictate the wisdom of parking yourself there. Downstairs, there are tiny tables that can keep your friends or fans from elbowing their way into your space, and booths for those times when you want to watch a companion eat while you write.

Music is piped into the dining room, but it’s not intrusive. I found the cycle of rushes and quiet times soothing, and I got into a good zone and never left it. The venue works for those who can write with a background murmur. In summer, you’ll be able to sit outdoors and enjoy the Fairhaven Village Green. A bonus is that you can have your photo taken with Dirty Dan Harris at any time, which will prove that you were Writing Out.

002 Sean and Dan

If you dine at the Colophon but haven’t written there, perhaps it’s time to repurpose the place for your artistic benefit. It’s certainly on the list of useful Dwyer cafés.

002 Colophon me

And what have I accomplished this week, between my Writing In and my Writing Out? I get to admit that I was slow on the tweaking of the story I plan to send to Memoir, but the thing that’s going to Alfred Hitchcock’s Mystery Magazine has its bags packed and is waiting for the mail truck. I’m going to read five minutes’ worth of it at the March Red Wheelbarrow Writers meeting. I love that bunch, by the way.

What have you written this week? Talk to you soon!

8 comments on “Write Out at the Colophon

1. historyweaver says:

Very nice. I like the Colophon for its great soups too.

2. Thomas Black says:

Sean, writing out sometimes helps. I’ve driven to Bloomington a couple of times to sit in the student union and write in the Grand Hall when I’m working on a Jenna novel. A different atmosphere can really be helpful. I’ll write for hours without moving, mostly because I don’t want to lose my spot! Good luck with the Mystery Magazine. I’ll be eager to see your work in print. And good luck with your reading at the Wheelbarrow! You should video the reading and put in on FaceBook!

3. Rob Moses says:

That place is awesome!

4. LeAnne says:

I support you Sean!

5. One of my favorite places to write out! Also upstairs at Book Fare (at the bar is quieter).

6. Maureen says:

I’ve never seen a photo of the colophon like this. You capture the warm glow on a cold day so beautifully.

7. Allison Roberts says:

Sean, I love your write outs. What a great idea! This is worth a return visit since the Colophon has completely transformed itself into a cozy third place complete with a 3-inch thick cocktail height table reclaimed from the original tenant, a soft leather couch arrangement next to a gas fireplace and new Re-Store made dining settees.

1. caithiseach says:

Allison, an update is a great idea. Will you be attending the Writers Mixer on December 10? Thanks for reading!

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

The Godly Chic Diaries

BY GRACE THROUGH FAITH

A Struggling Author

My Journey with You

Dirty Sci-Fi Buddha

Musings and books from a grunty overthinker

Bittersweet turns

Deep Down Inside...

Luna

Every now and then my head is racing with thoughts so I put pen to paper

Life of Chaz

Welcome to My Life

eacookwrites

Sit and Let Me Tell You a Tale

Anastasia Writes

politics, engineering, parenting, relevant things over coffee.

Jacquie Rogers, Author

Western & Fantasy Romance -- Magic and Whimsy Just For You

john pavlovitz

Stuff That Needs To Be Said

Knocked Out No Longer

one woman out to find her world

Stories by Carrol

A mix of quirky topics that at times might seem oddly strange, or strangely odd.

GLYNIS PETERS: Author

The home of Historical Novelist Glynis Peters - Pop the kettle on and join me!

Hot Topics TV - Pop Culture News

What America's Talking About

Kenneth Eade

Amazon Sellers Attorney

laughtermedicineforthesoul

Humor - Short Stories - Poetry - My Artist Page

roughwighting

Life in a flash - a weekly writing blog

Uncovered Myths

A journey through societal mythology.

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Barbara Jean Coast

A Social Butterfly's Aventures in Writing

arakawa fiction

Fiction from the banks of Ara river

flickerfantasies

My Latest Poems

WhenEFTalks

Spirituality. Politics. Music. Life.

Wrong Hands

Cartoons by John Atkinson. ©John Atkinson, Wrong Hands

The Manatee

Saving The Endangered Truth

Joëlle Jean-Baptiste – Author

Notes on the developments of fantastic tales, the series TI-COEUR ANGEL, and SHERLEY SHERLY.

shannon p. laws

voice | poetry

The Electron Pencil

"The blog has made Glab into a hip town crier, commenting on everything from local politics and cultural happenings to national and international events, all rendered in a colorful, intelligent, working-class vernacular that owes some of its style to Glab’s Chicago-hometown heroes Studs Terkel and Mike Royko." -- David Brent Johnson in Bloom Magazine

chocolate is a verb

colors, flavors, whims and other growing things

On The Heath

where would-be writer works with words

Indie Hero

Brian Marggraf, Author of Dream Brother: A Novel, Independent publishing advocate, New York City dweller

meganelizabethmorales

MANNERS MAKETH MAN, LOST BOYS FAN & PERPETAUL CREATIVITY.

Pearls Before Swine

Tales From a Cabinetmaker's Life

C.J. Prince Poet

Poetry, Art & Photography

Write Anything

Por scriptor, per scriptor

Artie Wayne On The Web

If Life is a Lottery - Let\'s All Take a Chance... But if Life is a Monkey, Let That Monkey Dance!

%d bloggers like this: